Sunday, July 14, 2013

#glassismine

Panorama of Bay Bridge from Google Glass fitting in San Francisco #throughglass
The trip down to San Francisco yesterday to pick up Google Glass was a novel adventure. I'd never flown to and from a city in the same day, and it was satisfying to make my way down to the Embarcardero without using my car (early morning Über-X to SeaTac, flight from SeaTac to SFO, Airtrain and BART downtown). It did feel a little over the top, like renting the fur coat in that silly ice bar in Vega$. 

But once Google maps told me I was close to my destination, my skepticism faded and I found myself enjoying the treasure hunt (there was a hastily crafted note on the door of the building, commanding Glass seekers to knock to be let in). I even giggled when I saw the Glass logo at the entrance to a starkly furnished, industrial office space. From then on, it was just fun.

After the ceremonial unboxing, fitting and acquainting, I hit the town. What a perfect day in San Francisco! I wandered around the Embarcardero, noodling with picture taking and navigation, both of which were simple, mostly intuitive and delightful. The Saturday farmer's market across the street from the Google office was a lucky find - beautiful produce to sample and photograph.


I realized after the fact that I had unwittingly captured an extended video well beyond the 10 second standard length. Because I was wearing a big floppy hat, and the sunglass blade in Glass, I'm not sure anyone noticed I was recording. I picked tangerine on purpose, so that I would be conspicuous in these situations, but it is remarkable how unobtrusive the unit can be. And how much video can drain your battery. By the time I'd walked through the market, my Glass battery was near dead, and I just made it with the navigation to Tadich Grill for lunch at the bar before it powered down.

Lunch @tadichgrill
So, first thoughts? Fun! Brings back the feeling I used to have in high school when I'd explore the museums in Washington DC with my old SLR and film. I think it's the combination of deliberate image creation, new perspective and ease of capture that inspires. I'm looking forward to a new view on my neighborhood and other familiar places and the reflection that comes with it.

Svetlana, thanks for taking the time and care to help me fit my Tangerine unit, and for your genuine interest in what I intend to do with it. I loved connecting with another singer - would have loved to have had Glass back in May when my band played the House of Blues in New Orleans! Next time...

And thanks, Google, for picking me to be an Explorer. Friends have jokingly referred to this process as Borg assimilation. Maybe... The further I go in the process, the deeper my understanding of the symbiosis. I'm enjoying being a part of this giant experiment and I'm committed to contributing to development and application in new environments. Hopefully, privacy concerns permitting, one of those environments will be the operating room.

No comments:

Post a Comment